Thursday, June 21, 2012

3 Online Resources for Bible Study

While I have to admit that there's still no substitute for the satisfying weight of a bible in my hands, the amazing growth of the internet has provided me with several resources that have truly transformed bible study for me. Though I've always known that bible reading should take precedence in my daily life, there have been many times when it got swept to the side in the hectic pace of everyday life. With these great resources, however, I've finally been able to keep up with daily bible reading (by the end of the year I'll have read the Old Testament once and New Testament twice), diligently read daily devotionals, and study the word in greater depth than ever before.

YouVersion for iPhone
You Version - This is both a web site and an app. I use the app on my iPhone to keep up with my daily bible reading plan. This is great for me because I always have it close by so I can catch up in the car, waiting for a doctor's appointment, or anywhere else that's convenient. I usually grab my phone and do my reading before I get out of bed in the morning. Best of all, the app sends me a reminder each morning in case I forgot to do the reading, and sends emails encouraging me to catch up if I've fallen behind. Other features I love:

  • Bookmarks to highlight and keep track of favorite verses (I later transfer these to note cards for continued study)
  • Search feature so you can look for specific verses or words
  • Community notes in the online version, so you can share thoughts with other readers
  • A wide variety of reading plans from whole bible, to short devotionals (I'm working on the Solid Life Reading Plan and love it.)

Bible Gateway - This web site is my favorite go-to when I want to study a specific book or verse in more depth. The search feature allows you to compare several versions of the bible side by side. I find this to be a fascinating way to get deeper insight. The site also has its own reading plans, devotionals, commentaries, and more.



1-Minute Bible Love Notes - This blog posts daily devotionals every weekday. They're short, sweet and to the point so I'm always able to find time to read them. My favorite thing about these is that you can subscribe to have the daily devotional sent straight to your in-box. You can also hop over to the blog and say hi to Gail, or leave your own thoughts on the day's devotional. This is a great way to get in touch with other readers and bloggers and learn from one another.





1 comment:

  1. Mandi, I'll check out the one you listed for my iphone. It sounds so convenient. I started doing a read through the Bible in a year found at www.oneyearbibleonline.com just 3 days ago. Thank you for linking up with us at NOBH. Every blessing

    ReplyDelete

Only respectful and kind commenting, please.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...